Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Haunted room of Orkney

Soft pink blue skies over calm calm water..... treeless islands linked by WW2debris covered in solid block..... what islands are these?
Today has been amazing- driven from Edinburgh to Kirkwall, Orkney Islands - I have seen crofters' cottages with heather roofs; sheer layered cliffs dropping into the sea, solid stone fences /walls ; black highland cattle; black fat tailed sheep; deer; red squirrels; black headed woodpecker....... I have eaten divine coffee cream cake!!!!!!!! sipped spanish wine; devoured huge Orkney scallops ; licked my lips after Orkney black pudding and sighed with pleasure upon the taste of herring in oatmeal............. what a day!

Perhaps the biggest was that I walked the Fields of Culloden- the deathbed for so many Scottish men at the hands of the RedCoats..... huge burial pits were where the remains of the clansmen were thrown... Frasers, Robertsons, McTavish, you know the clans..... can I tell you of how it felt? The heather still grew and the yellow broom sent its heavy perfume across the fields. I will write more about this later but the Scots have a sound belief in the right of all to choose their own direction and not be subjected to the whims of the rich and powerful.... if a clan chief is not a good sort , his clan will not go with him...... these clans stood with their chieftains to the very end.......
What an experience!

We drove north , up the coast from Inverness and there were falling stone castles, once stood to bring fear into the hearts of potential conquerors.... fields surrounded by stone fences.... such history!
Tomorrow we look around Kirkwall and the islands and we go to see the neolithic homes, the ancient standing stones, ..... the antiquity of the cultures that built the Orkneys........

And so I dropped my camera this morning and it is zoo dead it isn't funny! Dead dead dead!!!!! Barbara lent me her camera but am going to have to buy another one......... when I do I will put up some pics.......

Oh yes... so we got to Kirkwall and there we're no hotel rooms...... yes there were NO hotel rooms....... except for the haunted room at the top of the Ayre Hotel which is where I am about to head........ I left the room earlier and was followed by footsteps.................. this room is so much in the attic, the bathroom( sort of) is down the passage and a small set of stairs........ and I will walk up there in a minute

No comments:

Post a Comment