Sunday, June 10, 2012

I have a feeling about this place......

It has indeed been wonderful to rest! It seems like we have been dynamically mobile from the moment we set foot in Edinburgh. That night we had the pre wedding stuff and the next day was the wedding.... then visiting places , then Orkney... and the rest. So much to do but......
really.... i think that at this stage I have finally garnered some understanding of Scotland. It is a big country, not in the way that Australia is big but in the way that the life and the people are big - theirs is a murderously dramatic history with dying ancestors and blustering Scots.... theirs is a strong deep history with starvation and desperation ... theirs is a magic history with Vikings and druids...... and it is a part of who we are. This is my realisation- we are our story and our history. It is part of my narrative for when David Robertson and his wife Margaret(nee Hay) came out from Scotland to Tasmania.... it was their life in Cupar and Fifeshire, the births of their babies in strange places called Dunbog..... and it is part of the history where a little boy went to work in the weaving factories but went on to own farming land in Sassafras in Tasmania-

I have loved being here. I have been the recipient of such enormous generosity from Jack and BArbara  and I know I could never repay it. I guess it is  a little part of life's adventure where we explore who we are.....
Many thanks to Roya and Steve.... my intellectual life is not dead!
So tomorrow it is Demark.... and I can say .. I love being in that country!

No comments:

Post a Comment