Saturday, June 16, 2012

Uzes ancestors?

The shutters were closed... all night, to block out the joys of some random football fanatics who seemed to be excited about something or the other...... I found myself not really caring a whole lot.
Then it was morning and the market people were setting up at 6.30, right outside our apartment( which is 3 floors high) and down into the Places des Herbes... I lay still for as long as possible but !I had not coffee and there was no tea- we were poorly prepared so............ off to the market! Superb! The olives, from the local farms; vegetables; fruit- so many apricots and cherries and fresh figs........ and the cheeses! MWAH! Le Chèvre  and some from the Camargue   , all sorts of local ones.......... sausages? fig and pork, olive and pork etc etc; langoustines and huge prawns..... the Provence pottery! Awesome food.... cepes of every shape and colour..... and clothes? The colour  and the style.... cotton and linen.... and all Italian made.! It was truly a myriad of sights and colours..... I loved it.
So I wandered and looked and tasted....... finally came back to the apartment a bit later then headed off again with Roya so she could have a look ... great lunch of fresh salad ...... then off to clothe the female rally driver of extraordinary talents!.............
Time for a sleep
Then a wander........ so I wanted to see the extent of this place and the walls. t is all so so old and it is not only Roman history of tis area but it is thought that the neolithics well and truly had this as a settlement. I will find out more about the Roman history tomorrow as I begin to find things like the ancient aqueduct and the surrounding things.  I found out today that the Bellet family were around this area- they are my ancestors and were Huguenots. This town was one of the largest strongholds of Huguenots in France and one from which many made the exodus when the wars became too much and when they were actually expelled.
Steve arrived tonight..... nice to have him here........... bring on the good food!

It is so nice to be warm......
Uzes is like no other place.............. I need to read more and to explore more but I will do that tomorrow as I do a bit of history tracing.....

No comments:

Post a Comment